Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mica Gloss Tutorial!


Hi there!  I wanted to share a quick tutorial using a cool new product by Judikins called Mica Gloss.  I did a class with this product, so here is a quick tutorial showing one way to use these little gems!  Mica Gloss is a mica based paint.  It can be used on both porous and non porous surfaces and results in a beautiful metallic shine.  You can stamp with it, paint with it or create gorgeous metallic backgrounds using a wide range of surfaces from cardstock to glossy and even clear cardstock.  I used Black Gloss paper for this project!

I used three colours:  Rose Gold, Gold, and Honeydew.  I squeezed a little dab of colour from each bottle onto a Ranger craft sheet.

Then I ran a brayer over the three colours, keeping my strokes straight to ensure the individual colours showed.


I ran the brayer over my stamp.  This works fabulously with detailed stamps, ensuring even coverage without blurring the detail with too much ink. 



Then I stamped the image on black gloss cardstock.  Mica Gloss has a longer drying time than ink, but you can heat set it with a heat tool to speed up the drying process.


You can also ink the stamp by stamping directly into the brayered Mica Gloss on the craft sheet.  This works great with bolder images.  This gorgeous stamp is called Letters and Flowers by Penny Black.


 Here is the final project.  The designer paper is Basic Grey's "Curio", and the sentiment is from Flourishes' Ferns and Fiddles.  I added some beautiful crocheted ribbon by American Crafts and tied a length of black satin to finish it off!

Mica Gloss has far more uses with equally beautiful effects!  I absolutely love it on clear!  I hope you get a chance to try it soon...maybe while we're still offering Free Shipping on Canadian orders over $50.00*!  I don't want to steal all the fun!

Have a fabulous day!

*Receive FREE SHIPPINGon all online orders over $50 shipped before April 30th, 2011. Order total calculate before GST. Offer valid only within the ten Canadian provinces. Orders destined for Labrador, Nunavut, Yukon, NWT, United States and abroad will be charged the actual shipping amount.

13 comments:

Bev Tremblay said...

Thanks Laura for another inspired card. I took a class (in Ottawa) with the mico gloss paints and haven't used them since. You've shown me another way to use them so now I'm excited to play with them again.

Shirley Fread said...

Gorgeous card, Laura. Thanks for the tutorial, as well. It's always great to see your creations.

Dana said...

This is terrific! I'm eagerly awaiting my brayer to be shipped so I can try out techniques like this!

Kelly Schelske said...

Absolutely gorgeous Laura!

voodoo vixen said...

Stunning card, will have to look at these next time I am in the store!!

Amy Johnson said...

Wow! Gorgeous! No, I've never seen this stuff before. TFS!

Bev J. said...

Wonderful stamp image and love the look you gave it. Haven't heard of this product before-thanks for sharing.

Linda S. said...

Beautiful project, Laura. This is a new product to me also. Don't think I have seen it in the local stores. I am curious about clean up on your stamp and brayer?? Of course, the craft mat would not be a problem. Linda S. in NE

Lori said...

Wow! Laura, this is very cool :) Never heard of Mica Gloss before...will need to look into this TFS!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Linda, clean up is fairly easy. Mica Gloss has a long drying time, but can be heat set to speed it up. As long as you don't let it dry on your brayer it can be washed off with water...and maybe a little soap or stamp cleaner if it's really thick.

Beth Norman said...

Laura, your tutorial is awesome. I have never heard of these before. Lovely work.

Shirley said...

Laura, this is awesome!! I am going to try it with my Mica Inks.

munette said...

superbe merci