Friday, June 29, 2012

Playing in Paradise #73: Wonderful Watercolour

Happy Canada Day weekend, friends! I hope you make some time to relax and celebrate our great country this weekend. Maybe your relaxing will include a little crafting time?
You may not know that I'm also a professional watercolour artist and I'm absolutely in love with the beauty of watercolours. I thought it might be fun to try to inspire you to try this wonderful medium, and so this week's Playing in Paradise challenge is all about watercolour. I challenge you to create a project using watercolour paints, or just use my colourful abstract painting below to influence your design.
Have you heard of Lindy's Stamp Gang? They make incredible pigment powders with vibrant shimmer. I have a small selection of colours and I need more - they are just fabulous and really quite easy to use. I started out making a card (which you can see on my blog here) but realized that the design would translate really well to an art piece, so that's what I'm sharing today.

Supplies I used: 5"x7" wooden picture frame; watercolour paper; Ranger Archival Jet Black Ink; assorted rubber stamps; Lindy's Stamp Gang Magicals Autumn Leaves
  1. I stamped my design first, using the archival ink. It is important to use an archival, permanent ink so that it doesn't bleed when you start painting on it. I heat set it to be sure it was dry before I started painting.
  2. Using a little water and a palette or craft mat, I dipped a damp brush into each colour of pigment powder separately, mixing it further with water on the palette until it was well blended, like in this video. I love the shimmer of the Magicals - it really does seem magical!
  3. I painted the ribbon strips first, then used my paintbrush to spatter paint on the rest of the paper.
  4. I added a photo, and popped the whole thing in a frame. Super easy, and so fun. 


My watercolour students often tell me that watercolour is hard and intimidating, but this project is really just painting a few stripes and a little spatter. It's a great way to get started! And Magicals come in dozens of colours; I can tell you I need a LOT more! There are a tonne of videos on using Magicals on YouTube as well, so if you're unsure on how to use them, take a look and be inspired.

The design team rose to my challenge - here are their takes on the watercolour theme:




our gracious and talented Guest Designer
who hails from down under



This week's prize is from Glitz Design; French Kiss paper layers, journaling stickers, layered stickers and title stickers valued at approx. $22.

How to play:
    1.  Everyone is invited to play! There are no requirements or restrictions on what products you can use to create your challenge entry.

    2.  You have until noon on Thursday July 5 to link your entries for this challenge below.

    3.  Please link directly to your entry photo or your specific blog post featuring your project, not a general link. We reserve the right to remove invalid links. If you're uploading to a public forum, then use the keyword PPC73 so we can find you!

    4.  Please fill in your name (not the name of your card or the name of the challenge) as the caption/label within the linky tool.

    And last but not least... a big CONGRATULATIONS to winner of PPC#72, Patricia! Please email Pam at faeiryrocks@telus.net and she'll get back to you with the details for your prize, and for how you can play along with us in a future challenge.
    Powered by Linky Tools
    Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...