Friday, August 24, 2012

Playing in Paradise #81 - The Holidays are Coming!



Happy Friday! Time for a new challenge here at Playing in Paradise, and it's my turn to host. I've got a fun picture prompt for you today to hopefully help you get started (or continue going) on the holiday cards we're all going to need scads of shortly!
SBP PPC # 81
I took the opportunity to get started on my Christmas cards - as the challenge graphic says, you can create a project celebrating any holiday. Only one problem...with our recent basement & plumbing issues, I have no idea where most of my Christmas supplies are. I have some papers and a couple of embellishments upstairs, but no stamps. I decided that for this week's mini-tutorial, I'd show you how I manage to sit down & bust out a bunch of cards in an hour. The limited supplies made it a bit more challenging, but I'm excited to say it worked. 

My first tip is, try to stick with one paper collection. Everything is designed to coordinate, and so lots of the work is already done. I've used a collection from October Afternoon, and the store has been gearing up for Christmas with new stamp collections from Penny BlackHero Arts, and more. Lots of Christmas paper is arriving too- my favourite so far is the Handmade Holiday collection by Memory Works. If you're a follower of the Scrapbooker's Paradise blog, you'll continue to see the new arrivals featured!

Choose a sticker sheet with lots of big images (like this one) or a piece from the paper pack itself with large graphics, like the one I used:

And then go to it! Once you've selected the images you want to use, flip through the papers and choose a few favourites. The pack I've used has over 20 designs, but I stuck with about 6. I used my Cuttlebug to die cut & then emboss several pieces, and chose quick embellishments like adhesive rhinestones.

Here's my finished group of 6 cards:

Rather than bombard you with pictures, I'll show you the details on a couple of my favourites:
I fussy-cut along the chevron pattern, and added black & red rhinestones
to accent the snowman's face & buttons.

Embossing the die-cut mat adds lots of texture. Santa is popped up on foam tape,
and the button & candy canes are sewn on with crochet thread. 

So what has everyone else been up to?
PPC81-Nina






Please note: We post daily, so to find this challenge again once you have your project made please click on the 'Playing in Paradise Challenge' button on the right hand side to be taken to the current challenge.

The prize for PPC #81 is  Studio Calico / Hero Arts – Classic Calico Clear Stamp Banners approx value $21.

How to Play:

1. Everyone is invited to play! There are no requirements or restrictions on what products you can use to create your challenge entry.
2. You have until noon on Thursday, August 30th to link your entries for this challenge below.
3. Please link directly to your entry photo or your specific blog post featuring your project, not a general link. We reserve the right to remove invalid links. If you're uploading to a public forum, then use the keyword PPC81 so we can find you!
4. Please fill in your name (not the name of your card or the name of the challenge) as the caption/label within the linky tool.
CONGRATULATIONS to Nancy at the Nickel Nook, the winner of the Playing in Paradise #80 challenge. You can see her creation by clicking here. Nancy, we'd love to have you play along in a future challenge. Please email Pam at faeiryrocks@telus.net and she'll get back to you with the details for your prize and for how you can play along with us in a future challenge!
Good luck! 





3 comments:

Marie said...

Great ideas! Thanks for lighting the spark to start my cards early!

NickelNook said...

Such happy news for a Friday morning! Thank you very much!...Nancy :o)

fairyrocks said...

Nicely done team, I can't do Christmas yet, but you do make me wish I could.