Friday, August 3, 2012

PPC#78 Cup, Litre, Gallon Challenge


Welcome to my classroom! As a professional artist, I know that good design forms the basis for every visual art piece, whether a painting, advertisement, or, for the paper crafter, card or layout. The idea of incorporating design principles into paper crafting can be intimidating, even for me, so for my future challenges, I'm going to be teaching you different design principles, and then you get to try them out and use them in a challenge! Sound good?
Have you ever tried to match the colours of your project with a colourful piece of patterned paper and ended up with a hot mess? What about those colour challenges that force you to work with colours that just don't seem to jive? 
I like to use the "cup, litre, gallon" approach when I'm attempting to put together colours for a paper crafting project. Actually, I often use this approach while painting, as well. Colours used in equal quantities will 'fight' with each other for dominance on the page, so instead, you can take charge and put those colours in their places. In the layout below, I've used green as my "gallon" colour, and it's seen liberally throughout the layout, tying the whole page together. A soft aqua blue is my "litre" colour, and I chose a patterned paper that used both aqua and green, stamping with aqua and green, and sprinkling little hints of aqua blue over the page. (I've used Teresa Collins Fabrications line for my patterned paper and it just happens to be a part of the prize package for this week - awesome coincidence, right?)
It is no accident that I took the darkest colour as my "cup" colour and used it the most sparingly. Such a dark shade easily dominates the rest of the page, even used in small quantities, and it draws attention to the title and sets off the photos as a secondary mat behind them. If I had used the colours in different quantities, the entire mood and look of the page would have been completely different. Check out my blog for more details on the layout.

I challenged the rest of the Scrapbooker's Paradise challenge team to try their own interpretations of this colour challenge, and here they are.
Nina

Check out their blogs to hear more of what they thought of this "lesson" and then try your own. Use any three colours you want, and try to be mindful of the quantities you use of each. And let me know in the comments how it went for you, I'd love to hear about it!
Congratulations to the winner of PPC#77, Christine D! Christine, we'd love to have you play along in a future challenge. Please email Pam at faeiryrocks@telus.net and she'll get back to you with the details and send off your prize package.
And here's how you play along; this week's prize is from Teresa Collins - Fabrications Buttons, trinkets and chipboard Spring fling jewels, valued at approx $20.
How to play:
1.  Everyone is invited to play! There are no requirements or restrictions on what products you can use to create your challenge entry.
2.  You have until noon on Thursday August 9 to link your entries for this challenge below.
3.  Please link directly to your entry photo or your specific blog post featuring your project, not a general link. We reserve the right to remove invalid links. If you're uploading to a public forum, then use the keyword PPC78 so we can find you!
4.  Please fill in your name (not the name of your card or the name of the challenge) as the caption/label within the linky tool.
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...

3 comments:

fairyrocks said...

Thank You Angela, for this inspiring lesson and sample of what you mean. Great work Team!!
I am excited to see how our players interpret this challenge.

*Alison* said...

Great lesson.. and challenge.. how fun! hugs

Nancy said...

Great idea for dealing with colors on cards, sounds simple when stated as you have. Thanks much I'll be trying out your technique.